Skip to main content
Working with Cherry Hill, NJ storm damage claims adjusters
April 1, 2022 at 4:00 AM
House after a tornado.

It’s important for a homeowner to consider the kind of damage they could incur in the event of a severe storm. Dangerous weather brings with it a variety of different risks to your home, all of which could prove tremendously costly.

A tree on or near your property, for instance, could become uprooted or just get blown in the wrong direction by severe winds, impacting your house and damaging walls, windows, or your roof. Depending on the region you live in, tornadoes and hurricanes could be a seasonal concern, too. If you find yourself in the path of this kind of weather, the result could be thousands of dollars of damage to your property.

The good news is that storm damage in most of these forms, as well as from other causes like lightning and power outages, is covered under many homeowners insurance plans. However, with the amount of money that could be on the line under these circumstances, it’s important that your insurance estimate is as accurate as possible to ensure you’re reimbursed for as much as you’re entitled to.

In this blog post, you’ll learn more from a team of Cherry Hill, NY storm damage claims adjusters about what a storm damage insurance claim can cover, when you need to file your claim to receive your reimbursement, and why you need the help of a private insurance adjuster.

What’s covered by a storm damage claim?

As mentioned previously, a variety of different causes of storm damage can be covered under an insurance plan. Some of what you can generally expect includes:

  • Damage to structures on your property from a fallen tree
  • Damage from snow, ice, or sleet
  • Lightning damage

Not all types of storm damage are covered under a standard homeowners insurance plan, though, and certain circumstances could prevent you from successfully filing a claim even for types of damage that would typically be covered.

Severe wind conditions and flooding from hurricanes and tornadoes, for example, may not be covered under your insurance plan, even if you live in a region where this kind of weather is an expected seasonal occurrence. Additionally, damage resulting from causes like frozen pipes may be denied if there’s evidence to indicate that you didn’t keep your home properly heated to prevent the damage.

When do you need to file your claim?

You should file your claim as soon as possible after the storm damage has occurred, as timelines may vary between different types of claims. In the case of hail damage, for example, your deadline for filing a claim is generally up to one year. If you’re unsure about the deadline in your particular case, the best approach may be to contact your insurer or the agent who sold you the policy directly to get more details.

It’s also important to remember, though, that you can’t generally file your claim until you’re able to document the property damage. That means that before you can file the claim, you’ll need safe access to the property, either physically or by remote means like a drone, and a means of verifying the damage that occurred.

Hurricane map

Why do you need a private insurance adjuster to help?

If your property has been damaged from a storm, an insurance adjuster can help you get as equitable and fair a settlement as possible from your insurance claim. They’ll conduct an inspection of your property damage and evaluate your policy for coverage to help make sure you receive the settlement you’re owed.

If you need an adjuster to evaluate storm damage claims in Cherry Hill, NJ, Delaware Valley Public Adjusters can help. Schedule a consultation with us now or contact us for more information.